A Girl Geek Dinner at KPCC
Last night a group of our Spokeo ladies joined other female tech minds at a Girl Geek Dinners LA event hosted by KPCC.
Girl Geek Dinners aims to bring together women from the tech community world wide and promotes women in technology by creating a space in which women can learn, exchange ideas and find a supportive community among highly accomplished peers.
The even last night focused on women in technology and media, and featured an introductory Skype chat with Skylar Jackson from the Entertainment Industries Council. Her discussion on what the group is doing to promote the roles of women in television and online media was followed by a panel discussion with:
- Moderator, Angie Chang, Director of Growth at Hackbright Academy and founder of the Girl Geek Dinner’s Bay Area chapter
- Stacy Ferreira, Entrepreneur and Founder of mySocialCloud
- Jan Sanders, Director of Libraries and Information Services for the City of Pasadena
- Talulah Riley, Actress/Writer and Ambassador of The Prince’s Trust
- Alex Schaffert, Director of Digital Media for KPCC, Southern California Public Radio
The talented leaders discussed everything from challenges and heroes, to their personal “lean in” moments and more. One of our favorite moments came with the final audience question, “What do we do to change men’s mentality of women?” Alex Schaffert responded with a simple, “STOP CARING!”
Andy Wilson, Co-Founder of Innovate Pasadena, closed the evening with a keynote on the importance of networking.
It was an inspiring event for the Spokeo troop and we look forward to more! You can view the video of the event on the KPCC website.
*Panel photo courtesy of KPCC’s Crawford Family Forum//php comments_template( '', true ); ?>